Monday, July 8, 2019

As mentioned in my last post, when I started this blog, I wanted to have a space that talked about how to navigate tough stuff. So, I'm going to be reallllllly honest here. One of my big tenants to life is, or maybe used to be, "it's not about where you are or what you're doing, it's about who you're with." This is why, I tell myself, I stayed in Omaha for so long. I didn't love the city. I loved living near my family and friends. I didn't love my job. I loved the people I got to see at the gym every day.

When I decided to leave Omaha, I was doing it on my terms. I sold all of my stuff in preparation to buy a camper and travel the US or move with Yadi Doggie to Europe. When I met Jared and he convinced me we could do the van thing together, I put my plans on hold. I had to get on his timeline. When we came out to Steamboat last summer and my aunt and uncle were telling us how short on staff the town was for winter, and Jared started talking about how it was always his dream to work on a ski mountain. I said we should do it. If it was my dream to live in a van and in Europe some day, why wouldn't we do his dream, too?

We came out to Steamboat for what we'd planned would be a ski season. Steamboat is the best place in the world in the summer. However, winter is long. It's better than winter in Nebraska, but it's still winter. Jared got to spend over 150 days on his skis this winter--he lived his dream. However, you don't make a whole lot of money working on a ski mountain and ski towns are expensive. After the ski season, Jared found another dream job working for Moots, a titanium bike frame company here in Steamboat. When I talk about his job, you'd assume I'm really proud of him and happy for him, and I am--Moots is like the Cadillac of all bike companies, he's made friends to ride with, he has a cool job in one of the coolest industries.

I am happy and proud, however, I'm also insanely jealous. Since we'd only planned to be here for 6-9 months, I hadn't worked hard to make it home. I didn't want to get too involved in the community because I thought I was leaving. I don't miss Omaha, but I miss being involved in people and organizations I care about. On the flip side, because I don't have friends here, I spend almost all of my free time in the mountains with my dogs and have time to write every day. In Omaha, where I had things to do, I was always moving from one thing to the next.

So, I'm asking myself what the answer is. Do I push myself to become involved in more things, change my mindset about being here and invest? Or do I continue to be more reclusive--write and run all the trails I can? The answer is probably somewhere in the middle. I like to proclaim myself founder of the No New Friends Club (because I have the best friends already and so many of them to keep me busy, why would I need more?!), but no new friends in Steamboat means no friends for any kind of daily interaction.

The biggest thing I'm realizing is that I have to make myself happy. Somedays I sit here and feel sorry for myself that I let someone else derailed my original plans. I REALLY don't want to resent Jared for going for cool things. I'd rather be with him on this sidetrack adventure than alone, right? As stupid as it sounds, throwing myself into the good things about living here and doing everything I can to not think about what I gave up, helps my attitude. I don't regret leaving Omaha and home is where Yadi is, so I can make it anywhere if he's around. If I come out of living in Steamboat with a published novel, a fourth Run Rabbit Run, and maybe a new friend or two, it'll have been time well spent. Jared has found the potential for a few of his dreams here. I need to shift my shorts sights on the things I can accomplish here and long sights to those other things I can't.
Abba and me climbing a mountain

2 comments:

  1. ...I have to come back to this post... so many feelings..!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Secret To Being Happy All The Time
    …align your life with your values: align your actions with your intentions, align your habits with your desired outcomes, align your minutes with how you want your days to be.

    The above quote seems appropriate for the moment. Your spirit, your soul, yearns for this kind of synchronicity. But how does one arrive at this destination? And if you are indeed, “happy all the time”, does that mean you are there?? First off, no matter what belief you have, life is mainly made from what you make of it. I never really pondered that question when I was young but lately I have been giving the topic much more thought than I ever have. Some people are fortunate… they seem to live a life not of the “quiet desperation” of the many, but a charmed life, one that seems to have been made up of correct decisions and promising choices. Their options seem to vary from the “okay, it isn’t that bad,'' to the “wow, how amazing that thing we did turned out!”, with hardship and disappointment a hushed rumour that, “happens to other people*”.



    It seems that your partner has found his tribe and seems to be fitting into the scene in Colorado. As for you, there may be a little emptiness clanging around inside because the lifestyle change wasn’t simply so that he could find a neat clique and fall right into his spot… this was all about YOU and finding out who you were. Not only that, it was also about your WHY. I am glad that we did not have this kind of conversation while you were in Omaha… as it is, I am conflicted about sending you this. But, your entry touched a nerve in me, as I am still wandering and trying to find my home (insert Keane’s Sunshine here!).

    I hope that I am not redundant in suggesting that you meditate. You have so much going on in your head that you need to sit the “monkey mind” down and train him to simply sit and “be”. Not still, but in the moment where you are. Whether it is enjoying your partner’s shine or working on your writing (or some of MINE!!), you are going to develop into who you are. That much is sure. Don’t worry about what you may feel is being lost… you are and will grow to be so much more than where you are. The caveat is that you don’t forget to prioritize you and your hopes and dreams while you support your partner.

    Take care, Erin! Love you lots and lots!!

    ReplyDelete